The historic buildings next to the church were once upon a time the Vicarage where Fr Ommanney based his mission from. The old Clergy House has been added to over the years, including the latest development built between 2013-2015. Still owned by the Church, these buildings are used by our Charity, St Matthew’s House Ltd which operates as The Art House.
The Church began work on The Art House, which opened in 2015, a project that seeks to help people improve their mental health through creativity. The Art House runs commercial art classes to fund its work with the most vulnerable. It also hosts major art exhibitions and runs a café on site. The Art House has a great reputation in Sheffield and has been the recipient of substantial grants from the National Lottery and Arts Council England. You can find out more about the project’s excellent work here: https://www.arthousesheffield.co.uk
The Charity dates back much further than 2011; its objects and articles state that it exists:
…to the benefit of the City of Sheffield, and in particular those inhabitants living in the ecclesiastical parishes of the Diocese of Sheffield
in order to:
- improve the physical, mental/emotional and spiritual well-being of inhabitants living with mental health difficulties,
- advance education (including religious, moral and physical education), and
- provide facilities in the interests of social welfare for recreation and leisure time occupation
with the objective of improving the conditions of life and of the said inhabitants.
In furtherance of these objectives but not otherwise, the trustees shall have power to
- establish or secure the establishment of a community centre
- maintain or manage or co-operate with any statutory authority in the maintenance and management of a community centre.
St Matthew’s Parochial Church Council is the Sole Member and appoints a board of Trustees to over see the Charity. The Present Board members are:
Fr Naylor – Chairman
Fr Huw Thomas – Vice chairman
Ms Caroline Gracey – Chair of the Finance & HR Sub-committees
Mr Graham Millar
Miss Sarah Smith
Mr Stephen Linskill
Mrs Angela Knowles
The Rev’d John Hanks – Hon. Company Sec